Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cabeza del Radio




So i've been in Buenos Aires for quite a while. And not to detract anything from it...I mean it is a wonderful city. But as a budget traveler, life in the metropolis can be taxing. But alas, i must 'suck it up', for good reason too...RADIOHEAD FT. KRAFTWERK. No need to explain, right? for the cost of about 90 dollars, I get to watch two music legends do their thing in the flesh. I won't bore you with the details of their show. Yea, it amazing and hopefully i'll have the footage up, but I wanted to touch upon concert culture in Buenos Aires, or rather the lack of.

Yes, i think i finally found that chink in the Porteno armor. People: in a Rock concert there WILL be sweating, there WILL be pushing, and sadly there WILL be blood. I do not condone this. I aven't been particularly active in a mosh pit since the good old college days. And I truly felt as if those days might be over. Just leave it to a 30,000 person-strong concert with no hope for a VIP/pres pass/Back-stage connection (oh, the WBRS days...) I mean, i could have stood in back and enjoyed the concert like most 'young profesionals' do. But then again, I'm unemployed and living out of my bag. plus i owe you the pics/vids, right?

Kraftwerk, enter generic German joke here...



Leave it to te Israelis to get this show on the road. Honestly, they are like the proverbial cavalry sometimes. In the thick of it all (namely, people) 2 lanky Israeli guys spot my Israeli sandles, call me out and push me in. Mind you, i did not instigate this but then again i wasn't using my all to oppose it either. Witin 5 minutes we cut through about 6871.6 people. Since i am in the position of spear-head, i am getting the brunt of the insults and pushes. It got to the point where at some point later in the show a guy called me out as being responsible for the entire flow of the crowd. I mean, really? is tis every one's first show? Using only the most colorful language gained from meeting assholes from the world, I kindly explained the folly in his accusation, and gave him a nice chap on the back in good-heartedness.
Anyways, still about 40 layers from the stage, and squeezed nearly to pancake form. The next natural step? Arriba! crowd-surfing to Kraftwerk isn't exactly my forte, but you know, with Germans in the house, my Israeli blood gets boiling...kidding, no offense to my North European comrades.

Nihilists...


Here's when it get tricky. I pull myself down before the security gets me, yet one seriously steroided-up guard wants my blood. A scene erupts as he goes lunging for my gringo behind. False flashbacks of my non-existent Rodney King days are evoked, I start a chant of fuck the police and dash stage-right, about 20 rows deep. OK, at this point my mature side takes over and demands i stop with the tom-foolery. My middle-child relents and all is well. I even start huffing and complaining about all those rude pushers and shovers. But then the wave begns anew. No, its not the Marxian masses of the proletariot as much as the adrenaline-peaking young Latin Radiohead fans who dream has come true after years f waiting. After all, this is Radiohead's firs jaunt south of Mexico. Within 5 minutes i am 3 rows fro the stage, with the UC chamio-looking guard splicing my head with his eyes...ALL GOOD.

Got this close




Needless to say, Radiohead comes one, wreck havc with a list covering most of their new album ,as well as some of their classics. 2 hours of paradise resulting in bloody toes (dont wear sandals to concerts!) a partially torn Warriors shirt, a potential place to stay at in Cordoba, which i will visit next week, and some killer pics.


They constantly screened the band-members on large screens beside the stage







Every song a different light

No comments: